Reservoir with Multiple Outflows

rchlumsk

Reservoir with Multiple Outflows

Postby rchlumsk » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:09 pm

I am in the process of setting up a reservoir model with multiple outflows and am wondering if it is possible to do this in Raven, i.e. a single reservoir with multiple stage-discharge curves, or a stage-discharge curve and weir equation, to describe outflows from multiple locations.

The alternative would be to calculate the stage-discharge curve as a sum of multiple outflows and input that into a single stage-discharge curve, but I am curious as to whether the multiple outflow option is supported in Raven.

Thanks!
Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

jrcraig

Re: Reservoir with Multiple Outflows

Postby jrcraig » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:55 pm

Right now Raven only supports two stage discharge curves - typically consistent with one for overflow from a weir structure and one for underflow through an orifice. The total discharge is equal to the sum of the overflow and underflow discharge. To add the second stage-discharge relationship, you add one column to the standard :StageRelations command in the :Reservoir block.

Code: Select all

:Reservoir ExampleReservoir
      :SubBasinID 23
      :HRUID 234
      :Type RESROUTE_STANDARD
      :StageRelations
        21 # number of points
        0.0 0 0 0.0 0.0  # (h [m], Q [m3/s], V [m3], A [m2], Qund [m3/s])
        0.1 0.0 43 0.2 0.1
        3.0 20 3500 200 10
      :EndStageRelations
    :EndReservoir

This stage-discharge curve must respect the standard rules, i.e., zero flow when volume is zero, monotonically increasing. Support for more than one additional stage-discharge curve is planned for a future release.

Return to “Modelling Approaches and Tips”