Output File Specification and Snow Energy Balance

Ask questions or report problems
anbeaton

Output File Specification and Snow Energy Balance

Postby anbeaton » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:02 pm

I am trying to look at snowmelt in different forest types over time using POTMELT_UBCWM method. I can examine the POTENTIAL_MELT variable for each HRU to evaluate differences across forest types but I would also like to see what components of the energy balance are contribution to melt (e.g. S, Ln, Qc, Qa and Qr). I don't see these anywhere in the output. Is it possible to configure the model to output these variables?

On page 139 of the manual it says that ":WriteEnergyStorage" can be specified and this will create a WatershedEnergyStorage.csv file. However, when I add this command to my RVI file, the WatershedEnergyStorage.csv is not generated. I do not get an error that the command is not recognized.

Also, maybe I am missing something but on page 16 of the manual it says you can use " :ExhaustiveMassBalance" command. Raven does not recognize this but does recognize ":WriteExhaustiveMB" specified on page 140 so there may be a typo in the documentation.

Thanks,

Andy

rchlumsk

Re: Output File Specification and Snow Energy Balance

Postby rchlumsk » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:47 pm

Hi Andy

I can see in the code that the :WriteEnergyStorage command is obsolete, I will make a note to update that in the code and in the manual. The :WriteMassBalanceFile command should work to write mass and energy balance to one file. As you noted, :WriteExhaustiveMB also works and I believe :ExhaustiveMassBalance is also an obsolete command and should be updated in the manual. Thanks for catching and sorry for the inconvenience. The other output you may find useful would be a custom output, for example,

:CustomOutput DAILY AVERAGE POTENTIAL_MELT BY_HRU

to output the potential melt for each HRU at the daily timestep. You could also do this by HRU group, if you wanted to create separate HRU groups based on the land use type and aggregate custom output for each of those. The convenient way now to create HRU groups based on this criteria would be something like:

:PopulateHRUGroup hrugrp_forsest_type1 With LANDUSE EQUALS FOREST_TYPE1

To your first question, the components are individually calculated in the model, but then just used to calculate potential melt, so I don't see any way to output them without some adjustments in the code. If outputting the components is of interest, I can chat with James and give that some thought on the best way to organize that output, but it would involve a bit of tinkering.

Hope that helps!
Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

Return to “Help & Support”