Elevation for Gridded Data netcdf

Ask questions or report problems
hector_65

Elevation for Gridded Data netcdf

Postby hector_65 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:38 am

Hello, i am using a netcdf file for precipitation, temperature and wind forcings for my model, all have the same resolution of 5 [km] approximately. I am using a process of sublimation and i would like to generate orographic corrections of wind speed . I don't know how to assign elevation to grid of netcdf archive in Raven and i get the following advisory on my raven_error.txt file:

" ADVISORY : Since no elevation data are in NetCDF file D:/ModeloH/DELSA793/WindSpeed_SIERRA_WDATA///inputs/Windhuascohr.nc, all orographic corrections for WIND_VEL will be disabled unless :StationElevations or :StationElevationsByIdx command is present. "

Then when i see in Forcingfunctions.csv file, wind speed is zero for all period of simulation.

How can i assign elevation to each grid? I have to put this data in the netcdf or in the rvt file? Can i assign elevations to each grid like the process of assignation to a meteorological gauge in Raven (page 164 of Raven Manual)?

Thanks a lot,
Cheers

rchlumsk

Re: Elevation for Gridded Data netcdf

Postby rchlumsk » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:58 am

Hi Hector

Apologies for the very slow response on this. The elevation data in netcdf format is not currently supported, and needs to be supplied instead in the rvt file for each grid cell by ID within the gridded forcing block (something like this).

Code: Select all

:GriddedForcing             xxWindspeed
    :ForcingType            WIND_VEL
    :FileNameNC             input/windvel.nc
    :VarNameNC              wind_speed
    :DimNamesNC             lon lat time
    :RedirectToFile         xxxx
    :StationElevationsByIdx
       [station index1] [elev1]
       [station index2] [elev1]
       [station indexN] [elevN]
     :EndStationElevationsByIdx
:EndGriddedForcing

Once you have that, you can look at applying orographic corrections. Let me know if that helps!

Cheers,
Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

Return to “Help & Support”