FlowDiversion command

Ask questions or report problems
pcampbell

FlowDiversion command

Postby pcampbell » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:20 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to model a diversion using the :FlowDiversionLookupTable command in the rvt file. When I run the model, Raven returns the following error:

WARNING : :FlowDiversionLookupTable command: Subbasin -1 not found in model, cannot add diversion

I'm wondering if there are any syntax errors or other problems in the command I'm using? I'm trying to divert water from subbasin 5 to subbasin 6, diversion is year-round (so no start/end date), there are 7 source/diversion pairs in the lookup table and the maximum diversion flow is 2.12 m3/s. In my model, subbasin 6 is the downstream point of the model and has a downstream_ID of -1 (I don't know if that's causing the problem? I tried diverting the flow into a different subbasin as a test, but got the same error).
I'm using Raven v.3.0 and referencing page 172 of the manual. My command text is:

:FlowDiversionLookupTable
5,6, , ,7
0 0
1 0.99
2 1.99
2.12 2.11
2.13 2.12
5 2.12
10 2.12
:EndFlowDiversionLookupTable

Thanks
Pete

rchlumsk

Re: FlowDiversion command

Postby rchlumsk » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:38 pm

Hi Pete

From Section A.4.4 of the Raven manual, the syntax for the FlowDiversionTable is as follows (note that a single line indicating a percentage diversion is also possible):

Code: Select all

:FlowDiversionLookupTable [fromSBID] [toSBID] {start_day} {end_day}
nPoints
{Qsource_i Qdivert_i} x nPoints

The correct syntax for the diversion table in your setup should be:

Code: Select all

:FlowDiversionLookupTable 5 6
0 0
1 0.99
2 1.99
2.12 2.11
2.13 2.12
5 2.12
10 2.12

where the diversion is from subbasins 5 to 6, with 7 points in the table. As you mentioned it is year round, the start day/ end day is omitted. I am guessing that because the subbasin numbering (5 6) was omitted in your setup, a default of -1 was reported as missing. I will make a note that this error messaging should be more clear.

Let me know if the above works. There should not be an issue with subbasin 6 being the outlet basin, as per the manual that should also be handled. Setting it to divert from subbasin 6 to the outlet with :FlowDiversionLookupTable 6 -1 would be the syntax for that, just as a fun fact.

Cheers,
Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

pcampbell

Re: FlowDiversion command

Postby pcampbell » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:50 pm

Thanks for clarification Rob. Yes, that's working now.

Return to “Help & Support”