Forcing function errors with sub-daily timesteps

Ask questions or report problems
jmarvin

Forcing function errors with sub-daily timesteps

Postby jmarvin » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:11 pm

I’m running the UBCWM in Raven and I seem to have encountered an error that causes some of the forcing functions (specifically temp_daily_min, temp_daily_max, temp_daily_ave, ET radiation, LW radiation and wind vel.) to “freeze” at a fixed value for an extended period of time when running sub-daily timesteps, and this error varies depending on the timestep and simulation period selected.

Below is a graph of daily average temperature for three runs using different timesteps (0.5hr, 1hr and 24hr). While the three runs mostly overlap on the graph, you can see how the temperatures flatline at about -6 degrees in December 2017 for the 1hr timestep run, and they flatline at about 1 degrees in March 2011 for the 0.5hr timestep run but are corrected in April 2012. The occurrence and location of these errors change when I modify the start date for a given time series. Note that I’m using daily max/min temperatures and precipitation as input, and nothing comes up in the errors file.

Temperature_Error.PNG

Any idea what would be causing this?

Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rchlumsk

Re: Forcing function errors with sub-daily timesteps

Postby rchlumsk » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:52 pm

Hi Jeff

Are you running version 3.0 of Raven? Please post back about the version and operating system you are running, and if not 3.0 then please try the latest version and let me know if you have the same issue. I will look into this further.

Cheers,
Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

jmarvin

Postby jmarvin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:14 pm

Yes, I am running version 3.0 on Windows (which is actually referred to as Version 2.9.9 released 20/May/2020 in the .exe file). I just re-downloaded the most recent version of Raven to confirm and the results did not change for either the 32-bit or 64-bit version. I also just ran the model using version 2.9.2 (30/May/2019) and the same issues occurred but during different simulation periods.

Jeff

jrcraig

Postby jrcraig » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:49 am

Hi Jeff,

Could you zip up and send the problematic input file set to jrcraig@uwaterloo.ca? That will help me diagnose the issue.

Regards,

James

Return to “Help & Support”