HBV_EC model parameters ranges?

Ask questions or report problems
Ameer

HBV_EC model parameters ranges?

Postby Ameer » Sat May 30, 2020 4:52 pm

Hello fellow modellers,
I am looking into Raven manual v.2.9.1 page 136 Table A.5 where a number of parameters are listed for soil profile. I see we have ranges defined for some while missing for others- I understand most of these parameters are soil characteristic depended- how do you defined upper/lower bounds for those parameters for which we do not have range in the manual during the calibration? For example, what range you set for

Code: Select all

MAX_CAP_RISE_RATE
for a loamy or silty soil? Likewise, what would be the range for

Code: Select all

BASEFLOW_COEFF
. There are many more parameters in HBV_EC, both soil and vegetation classes, for which we do not have range in the manual. It would be nice to have some guiding range for different parameters while setting the model for calibration.
Any thoughts are welcome,
Ameer

rchlumsk

Re: HBV_EC model parameters ranges?

Postby rchlumsk » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:16 am

Hi Ameer

Filling in some more of those parameter ranges is a work in progress. However, it is a good question, as not all parameters have well-defined ranges and it may take some literature review and experimentation to define reasonable ranges. You may need to assign a parameter range and see whether the calibration tends to maximize/minimize certain parameters, which would indicate that either the range is too constrained or that the model structure is insufficient, and the calibration is compensating with the parameter adjustment.

There are a lot of papers that use the HBV model, from which you can see what other people used as ranges and get an idea for your own setup. Take a look at the reference section from the HBV model below for some relevant papers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HBV_hydrology_model#References

Hope that helps,
Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

Return to “Help & Support”