Unable to execute Raven on Linux

Ask questions or report problems
ewag

Unable to execute Raven on Linux

Postby ewag » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:05 pm

Hi,

I am re-working through Principles of Hydro Modelling Ex C1, and have followed the instructions closely, but am having trouble getting Raven to run on my machine (Running Linux Mint 19.1).
Wondering if there are some additional libraries that I'm missing in order to get this working?

Code: Select all

sudo ./Raven_v28_Linux.exe Irondequoit -o output/

sudo: unable to execute ./Raven_v28_Linux.exe: No such file or directory

The file DOES exist, and I have enabled permissions for it to run as an executable, but no luck. Thanks!

rchlumsk

Re: Unable to execute Raven on Linux

Postby rchlumsk » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:39 am

Hi there, I am not a Linux machine at the moment but the usual syntax for running Raven is as per below, very close to what you have there:

./Raven model_name -o ./output/

The issue may be with the output folder, you may need to check that the folder exists and use the ./output instead of just output.

I would otherwise try running without the sudo command and make sure you have assigned permissions to the .exe file with the chmod command (chmod 755 or similar to the Raven.exe file should do it). I would check the name of the executable and try running with and without the .exe extension. Let me know if that works and please post back if it does not.

Cheers,
Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

ewag

Postby ewag » Mon May 25, 2020 12:40 pm

Hi again Rob,
Sorry to revive an old thread: and some follow up (finally). I wasn't ever able to get this to work, and instead ran Raven through a virtual Windows machine, however I'm once again interested in getting this to work on my Linux computer.

As it stands, I've used chmod 755 to make the .exe executable, tried with and without sudo, and have downloaded the newest version of Raven with no luck.

Do you have any other suggestions that I could try to get this to run?

Thank you!
-Erik

rchlumsk

Postby rchlumsk » Tue May 26, 2020 10:35 am

Hi Erik

With linux, the version that is posted online for Raven is compiled on our linux server, which may or may not work on the local machine, depending on the installations and linux flavour you are running. The best thing is likely to download the Raven source code and compile it directly. Here are the steps you should follow on a linux machine to compile the Raven source code yourself:

1. Download the v3.0 source code from the website http://raven.uwaterloo.ca/Downloads.html
2. Unzip the folder
3. (OPTIONAL) Depending on whether you need netcdf capability and have netcdf installed, you may wish to turn this off in the Raven file. This can easily be done with the following steps. If you have netcdf installed and/or need it for your Raven runs, skip this step.
a) Open the file called 'Makefile' and make sure that lines 24 and 25 read as follows (I believe they are set commented out as per below when downloaded, but you will need to adjust this if you DO want netcdf, so good to know about this in any case).

CXXFLAGS += #-Dnetcdf                # if netcdf is installed ..."
LDLIBS   := #-L/usr/local -lnetcdf   # if netcdf is installed ..."

b) Save the file if any changes were made and close it.

4. With the netcdf resolved, in the terminal navigate to the unzipped folder "RavenSource3.0"
5. Run the cmd "make" to compile Raven; this should produce a file called Raven.exe
6. Move this executable to the suitable folder and test if the Raven executable works by running ./Raven.exe. Check the permissions if necessary but I think when compiled the default is to have execute permissions automatically.

Let me know if that works, and let me know if you have any trouble. Cheers!
Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

ewag

Postby ewag » Tue May 26, 2020 11:37 am

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the step-by-step instructions - I compiled from source and everything is working smoothly!
Thanks again!
-
Erik

Return to “Help & Support”