Porting Raven to R

Ask questions or report problems
salbers

Porting Raven to R

Postby salbers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi there,

I am curious if this model has been ported to the R programming language? Do you know of any efforts underway towards that end?

Thanks in advance!

Sam
Last edited by salbers on Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rchlumsk

Re: Porting Raven to R

Postby rchlumsk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi Sam

The model itself has not been ported to R and there are no plans to do so at the moment. I believe the program is currently compiled in C++ for speed of execution.

However, there is an associated R package called RavenR which you can find in the downloads page, which is currently under revision and will be updated again in the coming months. The RavenR package supports pre- and post-processing of model files, diagnostics, plots, and a few other things, although the model is still compiled and runs separately.

If you do have suggestions for compiling in R or additions to the RavenR package, please let us know! Always happy for others to get involved or offer suggestions.

Cheers,
Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

salbers

Postby salbers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response. So there is a package in R called Rcpp that calls C++ code directly from R. This maintains the speed of c++ but leverages the readability and popularity of R. Where does the code for raven live? Is it on github? I'd be interested in having a crack at porting it to R but obviously we need to see the c++ code.

Again thanks for the response.

Sam

rchlumsk

Postby rchlumsk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi Sam

The source code is also available for download directly on the Raven Downloads page (http://www.civil.uwaterloo.ca/jrcraig/Raven/Downloads.html) for the latest version 2.7, which should be a good chance to try out the Rcpp package. The development version is on CHyMS, I would recommend you contact Dr. Craig (jrcraig@uwaterloo.ca) if you are interested in becoming more involved in the program in general.

Let me know how the package works out, that would be great if it works in R!

Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

Return to “Help & Support”