Warning: Time Series overwritten

Ask questions or report problems
Symona

Warning: Time Series overwritten

Postby Symona » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:52 am

Hello,
my simulations run fine but I keep getting the following warning in my Raven_errors file:

WARNING : CGauge::AddTimeSeries: a time series of data has been overwritten at gauge xyz
WARNING : CGauge::AddTimeSeries: a time series of data has been overwritten at gauge xyz

What exactly does this mean and why is it generally occuring?
Thank you for your time!

rchlumsk

Re: Warning: Time Series overwritten

Postby rchlumsk » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi Symona

My guess is that your model has one or more instances of multiple time series supplied to the same meteorological gauge (or perhaps other rvt file), which is giving you these errors. If you have two of these messages then this is likely happening twice, i.e. same data supplied three times to the same station (and overwritten twice), or two instances of data being overwritten at two different stations.

Take a look at your rvt files and confirm that you do not have multiple instances of the same type of data being supplied to the same gauge, and let me know if the error persists. If it does I may ask you to send me some of your model files to take a look.

Cheers,
Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

rchlumsk

Postby rchlumsk » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi Symona

It appears that when the average temperature and min/max temperatures are supplied, Raven will overwrite the other time series since only one of these is required for determining the forcing functions. I would recommend only using the average temperature or the min/max temperature, depending on the data you have.

In any case, you can use the

Code: Select all

:WriteForcingFunctions
command in the .rvi file to check how the forcings are being calculated by the model, and compare them to the supplied gauge data to check that the data is being used properly.

Cheers,
Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

jrcraig

Postby jrcraig » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:31 am

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. In the next version, Raven will gladly accept daily min/max and average temperatures without trying to overwrite the average temperatures with 0.5*(Tmin+Tmax)

Symona

Postby Symona » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:34 am

Dear James, Dear Rob,

I am getting the same warning now when providing just the TEMP_AVG.

Initializing Model...
ftype : 11 Forcing: TEMP_DAILY_AVE
WARNING!: CGauge::AddTimeSeries: a time series of data has been overwritten at gauge xy
Generating Gauge Interpolation Weights...

This is how my RVT file looks:

:MultiData
2004-09-02 00:00:00 1.0 1947
:Parameters,PRECIP,TEMP_DAILY_AVE
:Units, mm/d, C,

Any Idea where this could be comming from? The data the model uses is the one I want however.

Thx!

rchlumsk

Postby rchlumsk » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi Symona

I believe that the model is using the average temperature to calculate the min and max daily temperatures using the :TemperatureDownscaling method, since the min and max temperatures are still needed, and is then 'overwriting' the missing min and max daily temperatures at the gauge with the calculated values. If you can confirm that the daily average temperature is still the same in the output, and the daily min and max temperatures are also calculated, then I am pretty confident that that is why the warning is appearing.

Cheers,
Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

Symona

Postby Symona » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 am

Yes, I can confirm that the daily average temperature is the same and the daily min and max temperatures are also calculated. Thx for the clearification!

Return to “Help & Support”