User-specified throughfall fraction

Ask questions or report problems
mranjram

User-specified throughfall fraction

Postby mranjram » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:51 pm

Hi Rob and James,

I'm trying to use the PRECIP_ICEPT_USER algorithm to create a very simplified representation of canopy interception -- however, when I specify this algorithm in my RVI file and use the :CreateRVPTemplate function, the auto-generated RVP file does not include the expected RAIN_ICEPT_PCT and SNOW_ICEPT_PCT vegetation parameters (it instead lists SAI_HT_RATIO as a veg parameter). Any thoughts on what I could be doing incorrectly? Perhaps another algorithm I've chosen is overriding PRECIP_ICEPT_USER? Or I may be misunderstanding the PRECIP_ICEPT_USER algorithm.

Here are the model details if required:
# --Model Details -------------------------------
:Interpolation INTERP_NEAREST_NEIGHBOR
:RainSnowFraction RAINSNOW_DINGMAN
:PotentialMeltMethod POTMELT_DEGREE_DAY
:Routing ROUTE_PLUG_FLOW
:CatchmentRoute DUMP
:Evaporation PET_CONSTANT
:SoilModel SOIL_ONE_LAYER
:PrecipIceptFract PRECIP_ICEPT_USER #gives unexpected veg parameters

# --Hydrologic Processes-------------------------
:HydrologicProcesses
:SnowBalance SNOBAL_SIMPLE_MELT SNOW PONDED_WATER
:Precipitation PRECIP_RAVEN ATMOS_PRECIP MULTIPLE
:Infiltration INF_PARTITION PONDED_WATER MULTIPLE
:SoilEvaporation SOILEVAP_TOPMODEL SOIL[0] ATMOSPHERE
:Baseflow BASE_CONSTANT SOIL[0] SURFACE_WATER

Also, a quick note on a typo in the RAVEN manual -- the Infiltration algorithm "INF_PARTITION" is incorrectly listed as "INF_PARTITION_COEFF" on pages 29 and 106.

Thanks,

Mark

jrcraig

Re: User-specified throughfall fraction

Postby jrcraig » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:32 pm

The (admittedly non-obvious) issue here is that you don't have any processes that include canopy storage. I have a fix planned to make this more intuitive for models which don't explicitly include the canopy, but in the meantime, the following will do what you need.

:CanopyEvaporation CANEVP_ALL CANOPY ATMOSPHERE

Thanks for pointing out the manual typo. I've fixed it for the next manual release.

Levasseur

Re: User-specified throughfall fraction

Postby Levasseur » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:56 am

jrcrfaig wrote:The (admittedly non-obvious) issue here is that you don't have any processes that include canopy storage. I have a fix planned to make this more intuitive for models which don't explicitly canopy, but in the meantime, the following will do what you need.

Thanks for the fix Craig!

Return to “Help & Support”