Raven Walkthrough # 1

Ask questions or report problems
surajitdb

Raven Walkthrough # 1

Postby surajitdb » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:45 am

I am not able to run the example of Walkthrough # 1 as I got the following error:

"File c:\Program Files(x86)\temp\RavenTutorials\Irondequoit.rvi does not exist. Incorrect directory?"

The same has been attached as an image file. Whereas Irondequoit.rvi was there in Irondequoit directory. Kindly help me to understand as what might have gone wrong?

Thanks.

Regards,

Surajit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rchlumsk

Re: Raven Walkthrough # 1

Postby rchlumsk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi Surajit, the problem is not obvious to me from your post, the directories in RavenLite look ok. Try the following:

1) Change the tutorial directory from C:\Program Files (x86)\temp\RavenTutorials to C:\temp\RavenTutorials, just in case that is the issue

2) Alternatively try running the model directly from the terminal. Navigate the directory the RavenTutorials containing the Raven.exe executable and try "Raven.exe Irondequoit\Irondequoit -o Irondequoit\output\"

Let me know if either of those work for you.

Cheers,
Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

surajitdb

Postby surajitdb » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:59 am

Hi Robert,
It was a mistake on my part with regard to using folder named "RavenTutorials" instead of changing the name of the downloaded unzipped folder "RavenTutorialFiles" or inputting the same name on RavenViewLite. Initially, I have tried running from "C:\Program Files (x86)\temp\...\directory\ " as well as from "C:\temp\...\directory\", but none run due to wrong folder name not matching while inputting on RavenViewLite. After having corrected the folder name on RavenViewLite, I could successfully run Walkthrough # 1, but only from "C:\temp\...\directory\" not the other one. However, from terminal I couldn't run and got the following error as attached:

Thanks and cheers,

Surajit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

surajitdb

:EvaluationMetrics NASH_SUTCLIFFE PCT_BIAS

Postby surajitdb » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:07 am

Dear Robert,
What could be the reason the command ": EvaluationMetrics NASH_SUTCLIFFE PCT_BIAS" at the end of .rvi file worksheet not generating "run1_Diagnostics.csv" in the output file of the model run? It runs at the end of Walkthrough # 1 while the command ": CustomOutput MONTHLY AVERAGE SNOW BY_HRU" was added at the end of the .rvi file worksheet just next to the previous command. Any suggestion on this?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Surajit

rchlumsk

Postby rchlumsk » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:45 am

Hi Surajit

I just tried out the previous command and received the same error, the solution is to enter the command like this:

Code: Select all

Raven.exe .\Irondequoit\Irondequoit -o .\output\

with the .\ indicating the folder properly. I did not think it was necessary but this seems to allow Raven to find all the necessary files as expected.

The diagnostics and custom output will not be generated if Raven finds an error in reading in the files, is that what you are referring to? Let me know if you still receive an error with the Diagnostics after running the model as per above.

Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

surajitdb

Walkthrough # 1 from terminal and Walkthroughs # 2 & 3

Postby surajitdb » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:51 am

Dear Robert,
Yes, I could run on Windows terminal after following the command relative path "Raven.exe .\Irondequoit\Irondequoit -o .\Irondequoit\output\", which I learned from Raven Manual 2.7. I couldn't post the same as I had limited internet connection in my residence (as I tried during last weekend). Anway, thanks a lot for the suggestion. The diagnostics did run. I have been able to run Walkthrough # 3 successfully after adding the following command line ":RunName run1" for "Simulation parameters" in both Alouette.rvi and Alouette2.rvi files. That command line was missing in both files obtained from unzipped RavenTutorials.

However, I couldn't run Walkthrough # 2 and got the following error:
"ERROR : CModel::InitializeRoutingNetwork: downstream basin ID not found" with "Error type: Bad input data" . I have assigned -1 for subbasin # 43 (downstream basin) and 1 was assigned for subbasins 30, 36 and 39 in Nith.rvh file.

Thanking you.

Cheers,
Surajit

rchlumsk

Postby rchlumsk » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Hi Surajit,
The tutorial has you filling in the subbasin links intentionally as part of the exercise. You can see the proper subbasin connections on page 1 of the tutorial from the map; the numbers are perhaps a little hard to see, but the proper subbasin connection is 30 -> 36 -> 39 -> 43. Setting -1 for 43 is correct as you said, since that is the outlet (of the Nith into Grand).

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more issues with the tutorials.

Cheers,
Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

surajitdb

Walkthrough # 2 run successfully

Postby surajitdb » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:57 am

Hi Robert,
All subbasins 30, 36, 39 and 43 had to be assigned -1 to run successfully in Nith.rvh file. Is it correct to assign -1 for the upstream subbasins? However, there was no change in the performance of the model as seen from "run1_Diagnostics" when "default_trap" was replaced by sub30profile, sub36profile,..., sub43profile.

Cheers,
Surajit

rchlumsk

Postby rchlumsk » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:03 am

Hi Surajit

You shouldn't have to assign -1 to all basins to get it to work, and that would not be correct in terms of how subbasins are linked (-1 would mean that all subbasins dump directly to the outlet). The Subbasins portion of the rvh file should look like this:

Code: Select all

:SubBasins
  :Attributes   NAME  DOWNSTREAM_ID       PROFILE REACH_LENGTH  GAUGED
  :Units        none           none          none           km    none
  30            Sub30             36 sub30profile        _AUTO      0
  36            Sub36             39 sub36profile        _AUTO      1
  39            Sub39             43 sub39profile        _AUTO      0
  43            Sub43             -1 sub43profile        _AUTO      1
:EndSubBasins

If updating the Nith.rvh file with this does not work, try to redownload the files and try again, otherwise let me know if there are other issues.

Cheers,
Rob
Robert Chlumsky
rchlumsk@uwaterloo.ca

surajitdb

Raven Walkthrough # 2 assigned basin IDs correctly

Postby surajitdb » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:47 am

Dear Robert,
Thanks a lot. Now, I could understand where I missed the point while assigning basin IDs. The logic is subbasin 30 drains to subbasin 36, 36 to 39, 39 to 43 and 43 to at the outlet, which is being assigned -1. After the model run, the hydrograph makes sense as compared to earlier runs though the model performance indicators like NS have remained unchanged.

Cheers,

Surajit

Return to “Help & Support”